Squire Sanders corporate and M&A lawyers recognized by Chambers USA 2012 as leaders in their field.
- Serving as counsel to an owner and manager of theme parks in a US$160 million IPO of master limited partnership units; the underwriter was a global advisory investment bank.
- Serving as counsel to a communications entity focused on global development, finance and operations, in the US$1 billion private equity financing and acquisition of a 54.2-percent interest in a European telecommunications company. The original owners of the telecommunications company maintained a significant ownership interest in the company. The business franchise encompasses more than 2.4 million homes (90 percent of Flemish households), of which 2.2 million are CATV subscribers. The company supplies cable services to Flanders, one of Belgium’s most prosperous regions, home to six million people, 58 percent of Belgium's population and one of the most densely populated areas in Europe.
- Serving as European regulatory counsel to Ashland Inc., a US-based, publicly traded Fortune 500 diversified chemical company, in its US$3.2 billion all-cash acquisition of International Specialty Products Inc., a privately owned global specialty chemical manufacturer. For this highly complex transaction, our team obtained the necessary merger approvals at the EU Commission and in Ukraine, Turkey and South Korea within an extremely tight time frame.
- Representing OM Group, a world leader in value-added, metal-based specialty products and materials, in its €1.2 billion acquisition of assets from a chemicals company. The cash purchase price was raised by a bond offering, an equity offering and the sale of certain businesses; we represented the company in both bridge and permanent financing for the deal. We also represented this client in its follow-on sale of approximately half of the assets to a NYSE-listed US manufacturing company.
- Counseling UCBH Holdings, Inc. on a strategic agreement giving China Minsheng Banking Corp., Ltd. a 9.9-percent interest in UCBH. The agreement marks the first time a mainland China bank has successfully invested in a US bank, and also makes UCBH the only US bank with a primary focus on China-based markets with strong financial and strategic links to a major China bank.
- Representing a global telecommunications investment firm in its acquisition of 55 percent of Telenet Holding S.A., the largest provider of point-to-point telephony, broadband Internet access and multimedia services in Belgium, in a transaction valued at more than €2 billion. We also served as counsel to the equity group in Telenet's subsequent acquisition of the cable television business of Flanders' Mixed Intercommunales in a transaction valued at just under €1 billion.
- Serving as counsel to the purchaser, a publicly traded, Japan-based global printing and printing products company, in its US$650 million acquisition of the stock of one of the leading worldwide producers of photomasks, used in the manufacture of semiconductors; the company operates the industry's most expansive global photomask production network, spanning China, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and the United States.
- Representing Goodrich Corporation in the US$1.4 billion auction sale of its performance materials (specialty chemicals) division to a private equity group. The division had approximately US$1.2 billion in sales, from 32 plants in 10 countries.
- Advising Group DF on the purchase by a subsidiary, Centragas Holding AG, of a £268 million stock issue by Nadra Bank, Ukraine’s eleventh largest bank. The stock issue represented approximately 90 percent of the share capital of Nadra Bank, which had been under the management of the National Bank of Ukraine after going into administration.
- Representing private equity fund Compass Group in connection with the IPO of an affiliated investment trust, as well as the fund’s divestiture and the trust’s acquisition of controlling interests in four portfolio companies valued at US$340 million. Immediately following the closing of the IPO and the acquisition by the trust of these four businesses, we represented the trust in connection with third party financing and intercompany loans.
When Madrid-based pharmaceutical business Industrial Farmaceutica Cantabria sought legal assistance with a problematic investment in a Florida-based pharmaceutical company, a recommendation led the company’s corporate officers to Squire Sanders. A me...
When the automotive industry was suffering serious difficulties in 2009 as a result of global economic conditions, even the most prestigious brands such as Land Rover and Jaguar cars did not escape unscathed.
The brands had been bought from the Ford...
Squire Sanders was selected in 2004 to serve as General Counsel to the 800 MHz Transition Administrator (TA), a hand-picked team charged with oversight and administration of the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) 800 MHz reconfiguration progra...
Situation:Cedar Fair, L.P., learned that CBS intended to sell its five US and Canadian Paramount amusement parks through an auction process. If Cedar Fair were able to acquire these parks, it could approximately double its holdings.Challenge:Cedar Fa...
Selected as a go-to firm in Corporate Counsel’s 2013 edition of "In-House Law Departments at the Top 500 Companies."