Chambers Europe 2012 wrote, "Vassilis Akritidis is valued for his assistance in difficult situations. He stays calm when things get heated and brings it down to what is important. He gives direction when there are too many factors in play."
Recognized as a leading individual in the field by Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers 2013.
Vassilis is a Partner at our Brussels office and leads the firm’s European international trade practice. His expertise covers international trade and WTO practice, EU Competition law including State aids, EU internal market issues and litigation before national courts, the European Union Courts in Luxembourg and the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
Vassilis has acquired great experience over the last twenty years in the field of EU law and in particular in anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard investigations, in customs matters, export controls and in advising Governments and private parties on WTO law and practice. The clients he represents extend from private parties to professional associations and Governments and are located in the EU, India, China, Brazil, Thailand, Taiwan, Croatia, Russia, Ukraine, Korea, Turkey, UAE, and the U.S. He is familiarised with the administrative practices and trade defence laws in several jurisdictions. Vassilis also works in the field of EU competition law and in issues related to the functioning of the EU internal market. He is an experienced litigator and a regular writer and speaker in related topics. He is regularly quoted by major legal directories, such as the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, as an expert in his field. Vassilis is the President of the Belgian-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce since 2009.
- The European Antitrust Review 2011
- Co-author, WTO-Trade Remedies by Max Planck Institute, Nijhoff, July 2008
- EU TDI Overview, Handbook of Trade Enforcement, Global Competition Review, May 2008
- EU Trade Remedies, Handbook of Trade Enforcement, Global Competition Review, September 2007
- Greek Antitrust comes of age, The European Antitrust Review 2002, A Global Competition Review Special Report
- Greek Antitrust Rules, The European Antitrust Review 2000, A Global Competition Review Special Report
- Advising the Government of Brazil in WTO dispute settlement
- Advising the Government of the Russian Federation on WTO accession
- Advising the Government of South Korea on WTO issues and dispute settlement
- Representing several Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, Thai, Russian, Ukrainian, Korean and exporters in trade defence investigations initiated by the EU, Russia and Brazil.
- Representing EU industries on market access issues, including trade defence.
- Advising the Greek Government on State aid issues.
- Advising several professional associations on EU internal market issues
Membership & Affiliations
- President of the Belgian-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce, 2008
- Board Member, Selonda Aquaculture, 2004-2006, 2008 to date
- Board Member, ETVA VI.PE. (Piraeus Bank Group), 2004-2006
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 1988Institute for European Studies, 1991
Athens Bar, Greece,
ICC International Court of Arbitration