Recently published “IBA Revises Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration,” which appeared in the Winter 2010/2011 Squire Sanders Litigation Update.
Selected by peers as a rising star, the top 2.5 percent of lawyers age 40 or less, or in practice 10 years or less, and listed in the 2013 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars.
Stephen P. Anway
Stephen Anway spends 100% of his time acting as counsel in major international arbitrations. He specializes in both investment-treaty arbitration, in which he represents both sovereign nations and multinational corporations, and international commercial arbitration, in which he has a particular expertise in natural gas price review arbitrations. In June 2013 The American Lawyer
Arbitration Scorecard published its list of the 20 Largest Commercial Arbitration Awards ever captured by the publication (dating back to 2001), and Stephen represented the winning party in three of them.
Stephen’s investment-treaty experience includes successfully representing the Czech Republic in three major arbitrations (each worth approximately US$100 million):
- ECE Projektmanagement International GmbH et al. v. Czech Republic, UNCITRAL, Award of 19 September 2013 – tribunal rejected all claims on the merits and awarded the Czech Republic most of its costs and legal fees.
- InterTrade Holding BmgH v. Czech Republic, UNCITRAL, Award of May 29, 2012 – tribunal denied all claims, holding that the acts and omissions in question were not attributable to the State under public international law.
- Phoenix Action, Ltd. v. Czech Republic, ICSID Case No. ARB/06/5, Award of April 15, 2009 – tribunal declined jurisdiction over all claims, establishing the seminal ruling on the principle of good faith and abuse of rights under public international law, and awarding the Czech Republic all of its costs and legal fees.
He is currently advising numerous other sovereign nations and multinational corporations on investment-treaty matters.
Stephen’s commercial international arbitration experience includes, most recently, acting as counsel to a major Italy-based energy company that won a US$395 million ICC award in April 2013. That award came on the heels of another ICC arbitration victory for the same client, but against a different counterparty, in the amount of US$580 million in August 2012. Stephen was also counsel for the winning party in two different UNCITRAL awards worth well more than US$1 billion – one in 2005 and one in 2008 – for Spain-based energy companies. He has won other international commercial arbitrations worth more than US$100 million.
Stephen is a member of the Steering Committee of the Young Arbitrators Forum organized by the USCIB, the US national committee of the ICC International Court of Arbitration. He is also an advisory member of the Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) and a member of the International Bar Association (IBA). Stephen has served as an adjunct professor of law at The Ohio State University College of Law and is the author of several award-winning law review articles. Stephen has been selected for inclusion six times in Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars
, a distinction that recognizes the top 2.5% of Ohio lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less.
Stephen began his career with Squire Sanders while in law school as a summer associate in 2000 and 2001. He thereafter accepted a two-year clerkship with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Ohio, the late Thomas J. Moyer, who was the longest sitting chief justice in the US. After completing the clerkship, Stephen returned to Squire Sanders and has been there ever since.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Co-author of “Entre la imparcialidad y la convicción: Issue conflict en el arbitraje internacional” in Latin American Arbitration Yearbook, Fall 2013.
- Author of chapter “Enforcing International Transactions: Why Your Company Should Include Arbitration Clauses In Its International Contracts & What They Should Say” in International Law for CEOs: Lessons from Leading International Lawyers, March 2013.
- Introductory speaker at the ICC YAF conference, “Precedents: Benefits, Dangers and Myths,” in Miami, Florida, 2 November 2013.
- Moderator of panel at the 3rd Prague Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference, “Recent Events in the Renewable Energy Arbitration Arena,” in Prague, Czech Republic, at the invitation of the Czech Ministry of Finance, 31 October 2013.
- Panelist at the ICC Canada 2013 Conference, “The Ethics of Preparing Witnesses In International Arbitration: Is There An Uneven Playing Field?,” in Toronto, Canada, 24 October 2013.
- Lead speaker at Young ICCA workshop, “Factual & Expert Witnesses,” in Portorož, Slovenia, 17 September 2013.
- Reporter at ICDR Miami Conference Tertulia Session, “Disclosures, Deliberations and Dissents,” in Miami, Florida, 11 September 2013.
- Speaker at Lawline.com CLE, “International Arbitration: What Companies Should Know About Cross Border Contracts & Investing Abroad,” in New York, New York, 12 June 2013.
- Speaker at the Latin American Congress on Arbitration, “Transparency in International Arbitration,” in Lima, Perú, 25 April 2013.
- Panelist at the Juris Conferences' Seventh Annual Investment Treaty Arbitration conference, “Damages in Energy Disputes,” in Washington DC, 22 April 2013.
- Panelist on webinar sponsored by the Global Outsourcing Association of Lawyers, “Litigation and Arbitration: How to Manage, Resolve and Avoid Risk?,” 16 April 2013.
- Speaker on investment-treaty arbitration at the University of Michigan Law School in Ann Arbor, Michigan, 4 April 2013.
- Speaker to the Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group, “International Arbitration: Commercial and Investment Treaty Arbitration,” in Cleveland, Ohio, 22 January 2013.
- Speaker to the Canadian Bar Association, National Environment, Energy and Resources Law Section, “Natural Gas Disputes: Price Review Arbitration and Investment Treaty Arbitration,” in Toronto, Canada, 5 December 2012.
- Panelist on an ICSID investment-treaty arbitration panel at the World Bank, “Approaches to Arbitration: Across the Ages,” in Washington DC, 1 November 2012.
- Introductory speaker and panel chair at the 2nd Prague Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference, “A Case Study of a Recent Award,” in Prague, Czech Republic, at the invitation of the Czech Ministry of Finance, 25 October 2012.
- Speaker at the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, “Enforcing International Arbitral Awards,” in Chicago, Illinois, 17 July 2012.
- Speaker to the International Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, “International Arbitration: Commercial and Investment Treaty Arbitration,” in Detroit, Michigan, 16 November 2011.
- Introductory speaker at 1st Prague Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference, “Are BITs Serving Their Purpose?,” in Prague, Czech Republic, at the invitation of the Czech Ministry of Finance, 20 October 2011.
- Speaker at Ecuador Investment Treaty Conference, “State Responsibility under Investment Protection Treaties: Nature and Scope,” in Guayaquil, Ecuador, at the invitation of the Ecuadorian Attorney General, 21 October 2010.
The Ohio State University, J.D., with honors, managing editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2002Bowling Green State University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1999
District of Columbia,
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of New York