Recently published “IBA Revises Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration,” which appeared in the Winter 2010/2011 Squire Sanders Litigation Update.
Selected by peers as a rising star, the top 2.5 percent of lawyers age 40 or less, or in practice 10 years or less, and listed in the 2013 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars.
Stephen P. Anway
Stephen Anway, a member of the New York and Ohio Bars, acts as counsel to sovereign nations and multinational corporations in investment-treaty and commercial international arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC, UNCITRAL, and SCC Arbitration Rules. He also represents clients in US courts in cases with an international law element, including cases concerning the recognition and enforcement of international arbitral awards. In addition to contentious matters, he advises sovereign nations and multinational corporations on various issues of international law and is a frequent lecturer on international arbitration matters.
Stephen’s investment-treaty arbitration experience includes acting as lead counsel for the Czech Republic in Phoenix Action, Ltd. v. Czech Republic
, ICSID Case No. ARB/06/5, in which the Czech Republic prevailed on 100% of the claim and was awarded all of its legal fees. More recently, he was counsel for the Czech Republic in InterTrade Holding BmgH v. Czech Republic
, UNCITRAL, Final Award, May 29, 2012, in which the Czech Republic again prevailed on 100% of the claim. He is currently advising numerous other sovereign nations and multinational corporations on investment-treaty matters.
Stephen’s commercial international arbitration experience includes acting as counsel for the winning party in some of the largest commercial arbitrations in the world over the past decade. Most recently, Stephen was counsel to a major Italy-based energy company that won a €395 million ICC award in April 2013. That award came on the heels of another ICC arbitration victory for the same client, but against a different counterparty, in the amount of €450 million in August 2012. Stephen was also counsel for the winning party in two of the top 12 arbitral awards in the world from 2004 to 2009, as ranked by the American Lawyer’s Focus Europe. Both were multibillion dollar victories for Spain-based energy companies.
Stephen is a member of the Steering Committee of the Young Arbitrators Forum organized by the USCIB, the US national committee of the ICC International Court of Arbitration. He is also an advisory member of the Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) and a member of the International Bar Association (IBA).
Before joining Squire Sanders, Stephen clerked for the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Ohio, the late Thomas J. Moyer, who was the longest sitting chief justice in the US.
Stephen has served as an adjunct professor of law at The Ohio State University College of Law and is the author of several award-winning law review articles.
Stephen has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Edition
, a distinction that recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Ohio lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author of chapter “Enforcing International Transactions: Why Your Company Should Include Arbitration Clauses In Its International Contracts & What They Should Say” in International Law for CEOs: Lessons from Leading International Lawyers, March 2013.
- Speaker at the Latin American Congress on Arbitration in Lima, Perú, 25 April 2013.
- Panelist at the Juris Conferences' Seventh Annual Investment Treaty Arbitration conference in Washington DC, 22 April 2013.
- Panelist on webinar sponsored by the Global Outsourcing Association of Lawyers regarding international arbitration, 16 April 2013.
- Speaker on investment-treaty arbitration at Michigan law school in Ann Arbor, Michigan, 4 April 2013.
- Speaker on commercial international arbitration and investment-treaty arbitration to the Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group, in Cleveland, Ohio, 22 January 2013.
- Speaker on natural gas price review arbitrations to the Canadian Bar Association, National Environment, Energy and Resources Law Section in Toronto, Canada, 5 December 2012.
- Panelist on an ICSID investment-treaty arbitration panel at the World Bank in Washington DC, 1 November 2012.
- Speaker on investment-treaty arbitration in Prague, Czech Republic, at the invitation of the Czech Ministry of Finance, 25 October 2012.
- Speaker at the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum regarding the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Chicago, Illinois, 17 July 2012.
- Speaker on commercial international arbitration and investment-treaty arbitration to the International Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan in Detroit, Michigan, 16 November 2011.
- Speaker on investment-treaty arbitration in Prague, Czech Republic, at the invitation of the Czech Ministry of Finance, 20 October 2011.
- Speaker on investment-treaty arbitration in Guayaquil, Ecuador, at the invitation of the Ecuadorian Attorney General, 21 October 2010.
+1 212 407 0146
+1 216 479 8279
The Ohio State University, J.D., with honors, managing editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2002Bowling Green State University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1999
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of New York