Recommended in the 2013 edition of The Legal 500 UK.
Listed in the 2014 edition of Chambers UK
as a leading individual.
Garon is a Senior Associate in the Litigation practice group. He has specialised in dispute resolution work since he qualified as a solicitor and has considerable experience in general corporate and commercial litigation work, acting for both private and public sector clients.
Garon’s regularly resolves disputes for clients in the financial services/insurance sector. That encompasses professional negligence, fraud issues/recovery processes, dealing with claims and complaints by customers of the mis-selling of retail products, handling insurance policy coverage disputes for corporate clients, acting on directors and officers’ liability claims and advising organisations and individuals that are subject to FSA investigations/disciplinary proceedings.
Garon’s also resolves disputes for clients in the public sector, having acted for a significant number of central government departments, local authorities, NHS trusts, universities and regional development agencies during his career.
- Acting for major clearing bank in the defence of a large portfolio of claims by customers alleging mis-selling of payment protection insurance between 2000 and 2009
- Advising the Barlow Clowes' Officeholders in successful recovery proceedings in the Isle of Man Court against offshore company administrators involved in dishonestly assisting Peter Clowes’ co-conspirators in the theft of investors funds
- Advising an US bank on multi jurisdictional dispute with a foreign investment agency over lending to the agency’s former CEO, then representing the bank in regulatory proceedings instituted by the relevant Ministry of Finance in South East Asia.
- Acting for the professional indemnity insurers of a IFA network on a portfolio of mis-selling claims concerning various life and pensions products
- Representing a FTSE 250 plc in investigations and subsequent disciplinary proceedings by the FSA into alleged breaches of the Listing Rules
- Successfully defending at trial an household name insurer in a multi million pound claim in the Gibraltar Court by a former IFA/broker alleging wrongful termination of the agency relationship
- Successfully resolving for an FTSE 250 plc client a multi million pound insurance coverage issue under its property damage and business policy following on from the explosion at the Buncefield oil depot in December 2005
- Representing corporate clients on D&O insurance issues, including policy coverage disputes, notification issues and the defence of directors in civil litigation/insolvency related claims, statutory enquiries and regulatory investigations
- Leading a multi-million pound fraud investigation for a Government department involving contractors engaged in clean up work during the Foot and Mouth Disease epidemic in 2001 and representing Government vets in associated disciplinary proceedings instituted by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Advising a well known life insurer on FSA investigation and disciplinary proceedings concerning mis-selling of precipice bonds
- Representing a company on the contentious/ FSA related aspects, of a hostile take-over bid concerning allegations of reach of confidence on the part of the company's former corporate finance advisers bid
Clients and legal directories have described Garon as “excellent”, having a varying client base including brokers, construction professionals, pensions firms and IT companies and exhibiting “substantial knowledge and experience”.
+44 121 222 3507
+44 7545 110790
University College, Oxford, M.A., 1990University of Law, Guildford, C.P.E., 1993
England and Wales,