L. Todd Gibson
Todd Gibson focuses his practice on derivatives and tax-exempt healthcare finance. Todd regularly serves as special swap counsel, bond counsel and underwriters’ counsel. He has extensive experience in negotiating International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) master agreements, credit support documentation, over-the-counter interest rate, foreign exchange, credit and commodity derivative trade confirmations and clearing agreements.
Prior to joining Squire Sanders, Todd was an associate with an international law firm in New York City, where his practice focused on derivatives. Prior to joining that firm, Todd served as a vice president in global foreign exchange at Merrill Lynch & Co. where his duties included directing credit and product risk management of the New York institutional foreign exchange sales and trading desk, structuring foreign exchange prime brokerage agreements, and negotiating ISDA master agreements.
Todd has addressed numerous groups on swaps, including participating in panel discussions at the National Association of Bond Lawyers’ Bond Attorneys Workshop and the Bond Buyer’s
National Municipal Derivatives Conference.
- Advising banks, end-users and special entities regarding Title VII of the Dodd-Frank Act and CFTC rules and regulations, including development of Dodd Frank-compliant derivative documentation sets and web-based disclosure, and providing assistance with EMIR and other foreign regulatory regimes.
- Advising states, municipalities, governmental agencies, healthcare systems and public and private universities in structuring, restructuring, novating and integrating interest rate hedges and related derivative products.
- Acting as bond and borrower counsel to a regional health system in the off-balance sheet financing of the construction of a research facility and a mixed-use parking and office facility and the acquisition of a four-building administrative office complex.
- Acting as underwriter counsel to two national investment banks in their underwriting of a series of fixed-rate and two series of letter of credit-backed variable-rate tax exempt hospital revenue bonds.
- Advising a regional health system in the novation and restructuring of its bond-related interest rate swap portfolio.
- Advising one of the world’s largest automobile manufacturers in drafting and negotiating new ISDA master agreements in order to better segregate and manage various market, product and legal risks.
Case Western Reserve University, J.D., executive editor, Case Western University Journal of International Law, 1996Case Western Reserve University, M.B.A., 1996Denison University, B.A., 1991