More than 140 Squire Sanders lawyers listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
Squire Sanders has approximately 1,300 lawyers in 39 offices and 19 countries around the world. With one of the strongest integrated global platforms and our longstanding "one-firm firm" philosophy, Squire Sanders provides seamless legal counsel worldwide.
By the Numbers
Key Expansion Milestones
- Top-20 global legal practice based on number of lawyers
- In 19 countries, 9th broadest global footprint
- Practicing law in more than 140 jurisdictions, in more than 40 languages
- Asia Pacific: 7 offices, ~115 lawyers
- Europe/Middle East: 16 offices, ~650 lawyers
- United States/Latin America: 16 offices, ~540 lawyers
- 1890. Squire, Sanders & Dempsey is founded in Cleveland.
- 1971. The firm opens its office in Washington DC.
- 1974. Squire Sanders opens its Brussels office, the firm's first step toward establishing its presence in Europe.
- 1974-82. Expansion continues with office openings in Columbus, Miami, Phoenix and New York.
- 1990. Following the Velvet Revolution, the firm becomes one of the first US law firms to establish a permanent presence in Eastern Europe, opening an office in Prague.
- 1991. Eastern European expansion continues with offices opening in Budapest and Bratislava.
- 1992. Squire Sanders broadens European presence with the establishment of offices in London and Kyiv.
- 1995. The firm opens an office in Moscow to serve the increasing needs of clients in Russia.
- 1997. Squire Sanders establishes an office in Houston.
- 1998. Squire Sanders opens its first office in Asia, the Hong Kong office.
- 1999. The firm's office in Cincinnati opens.
- 2000. The California, Tokyo and Beijing offices of Graham & James join Squire Sanders, broadening the firm's capabilities in the Western US and Asia. The expansion also gives Squire Sanders standing as one of the longest tenured US law firms in Japan, as Graham & James opened its office in Tokyo in 1955.
- 2001. The firm establishes offices in Tampa and Tysons Corner.
- 2004. Squire Sanders opens an office in Shanghai, expanding regional coverage in China to three offices, including Beijing and Hong Kong.
- 2005. Squire Sanders further bolsters one of the strongest Central and Eastern European legal practice by adding a Warsaw office and providing on-the-ground services to clients with interests in that region.
- 2005. Squire Sanders combines practices with Steel Hector & Davis LLP, adding offices in Santo Domingo and West Palm Beach.
- 2006. Squire Sanders establishes an office in Frankfurt and doubles the size of its London office.
- 2008. Squire Sanders bolsters Central and Eastern European practice with the addition of eight lawyers in Kyiv. The firm also establishes the Squire Sanders Legal Counsel Worldwide Network to provide multinational clients comprehensive, fully integrated legal services across Latin America and the Caribbean.
- 2009. Squire Sanders bolsters its longstanding Middle East practice with the formal establishment of a relationship with independent firm El-Khoury & Partners.
- 2011. Squire Sanders combines with leading UK law firm Hammonds LLP, adding its nearly 500 lawyers across new offices in Berlin, Birmingham, Leeds, Madrid, Manchester and Paris, and expanding its presence in Brussels and London. Squire Sanders also combines with the 80 lawyers of the Perth-based partnership of Minter Ellison, significantly expanding its presence in the fast-growing Asia Pacific market.
- 2012. Squire Sanders takes a significant step forward in becoming one of the leading legal service providers in the Asia Pacific region by opening an office in Singapore as well as launching offices in Seoul, South Korea and Sydney, Australia. Squire Sanders also strengthens its presence in the Middle East with a fully integrated office in Riyadh operating as Al-Enezee in association with Squire Sanders.>
Squire Sanders is top-ranked in Legal Week's annual Client Satisfaction Report, a survey ranking the UK's largest law firms according to feedback from the UK's largest companies.