Recognized as a leading individual in the field by Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers 2014.
Sungbo Shim is the managing partner of the Beijing office and a member of the firm's Global Board. He represents a broad range of clients from the United States, Middle East, China, Japan and Korea in China-related investment, acquisition, financing and commercial transactions. His areas of expertise include mergers and acquisitions, private equity/venture capital investments, company startups, securities law, and formation and operation of joint ventures. Sungbo is listed in the 2009 edition of Asialaw Leading Lawyers
for mergers and acquisitions.
Sungbo’s practice focuses on advising and assisting clients with cross-border operations in the technology, manufacturing and private equity/venture capital industries. Prior to joining the firm, Sungbo practiced law with leading firms in San Francisco, Silicon Valley and Beijing.
He is a co-founder of the One Korea Peace Center and the Association for the Reunion of Separated Korean Families.
- Representing a NYSE-listed global leader in 3D printing technology with respect to various corporate and commercial matters in China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia.
- Providing counsel to a London stock exchange-listed multinational food flavoring company in a strategic acquisition in China.
- Advising a Sweden-based garden tools manufacturer in various acquisitions in China.
- Representing a leading China-based technology company with respect to an acquisition by a public US-based company.
- Providing counsel to a Nasdaq-listed Middle East-based telecommunications company with respect to various China-related corporate and commercial matters.
- Representing a US-based oil field equipment company with respect to a strategic alliance with a Chinese manufacturer.
Stanford University, J.D., member, Stanford Journal of International Law
, 1994Wesleyan University, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, 1986
- Chinese (Mandarin, also known as Putonghua)