Recognized by Chambers USA 2013 as a leading individual for Intellectual Property.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014, an honor based on an exhaustive peer-review process.
Steven M. Auvil
Steve Auvil leads the Squire Sanders Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group’s litigation practice in the US, and his practice is focused on litigation of intellectual property (IP) disputes. As an engineer and patent lawyer, he has been exposed to a wide variety of technologies including power electronics, communication systems, complex mechanical systems and software. Steve has been listed in Chambers USA Leading Lawyers
since 2007, The Best Lawyers in America
since 2006 and Ohio Super Lawyers
In nearly 20 years of practicing law, Steve has served as lead trial counsel and successfully represented clients in numerous patent, trade secret, copyright and trademark/trade dress cases in federal district courts throughout the US. He has also argued several patent-related appeals before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. In addition, he has handled a significant number of disputes before US administrative agencies, including 337 actions before the US International Trade Commission and proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeals Board. Finally, Steve has represented clients in IP-related disputes before arbitration tribunals.
While Steve’s practice focus is in litigation, he has considerable non-litigation experience, including counseling clients on IP matters, preparing and prosecuting patent applications, and negotiating agreements that involve IP.
Steve is an active member in a number of professional organizations, including the American Bar Association, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA) and Federal Circuit Bar Association. He served as president of CIPLA during 2009-2010 and has held leadership positions in AIPLA since 2009.
Steve is a frequent speaker on IP law topics, and has spoken to IP organizations in Boston, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit and Silicon Valley on matters ranging from patent reform to reducing the cost of patent litigation.
Steve is a former member of the William K. Thomas Inn of Court, the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Visiting Committee and the Board of Trustees of Young Audiences of Greater Cleveland. For several years he taught patent law and practice as an adjunct faculty member of the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law at Cleveland State University.
- Successfully defended leading high efficiency lighting producer in a section 337 unfair imports dispute before the US International Trade Commission involving lighting circuits in which ALJ issued initial determination of no violation after five-day hearing.
- Successfully prosecuted patent infringement claims against distributors of infringing home appliances, obtaining injunctions against infringers.
- Successfully defended leading power management company in patent infringement action relating to hydraulic engine components in which court held on summary judgment that plaintiff lacked standing to sue on nine patents for failure to name additional inventors.
- Successfully prosecuted patent infringement claims for leading commercial product manufacturer against offshore competitor, obtaining a temporary restraining order barring infringement.
- Successfully defended leading heavy equipment producer in a patent infringement case relating to hydraulic control systems in which district court declared case exceptional under 35 USC §285 and awarded our client attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully defended leading high efficiency lighting producer in ICC arbitration of a patent license dispute in which panel held license unenforceable after seven-day hearing.
- Successfully defended leading seller of home fitness equipment against patent infringement and state law claims relating its distribution of wildly popular fitness equipment in which district court granted summary judgment on all claims.
New York University, LL.M., Trade Regulation, 1994Cleveland State University, J.D., summa cum laude, valedictorian, editor, Law Review, 1993The Ohio State University, B.S.M.E., 1988
District of Columbia,
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Ct. of App., Federal Circuit
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Illinois
U.S. Dist. Ct., E. Dist. of Texas