Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014, an honor based on an exhaustive peer-review process.
Sean T. Cork
Sean Cork is a partner in Squire Sanders’ Restructuring & Insolvency Practice Group, and has a national practice representing clients in a number of bankruptcy and restructuring matters. Although he is best known for representing debtors, Sean also has an active practice representing creditors committees, trustees, and strategic and financial investors in a wide variety of industry and market sectors.
Sean has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America
since 2013. He is co-author of Pre-Bankruptcy Planning for the Commercial Reorganization
, Second Edition, published by the American Bankruptcy Institute, and recent co-author of “Alderwoods Group Inc. v. Garcia: The Eleventh Circuit Discusses Bankruptcy Court Jurisdiction, Enforcement of the Discharge Injunction, and Grants the Debtor a Mulligan,” published in the June 2012 Issue of the Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser
. Before joining Squire Sanders, Sean served as a law clerk to The Honorable William T. Bodoh, US Bankruptcy Judge for the Northern District of Ohio.
Sean is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Representing the Foreign Representatives in British American Insurance Company, Limited, and British American Isle of Venice (BVI) Ltd., two Caribbean-based insurance companies in Chapter 15 cross-border proceedings in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Representing AMERCO, the parent of U-Haul International, the largest trucking and self-storage rental business in North America, in proceedings involving approximately US$3 billion in debt and public equity securities, ranked by Turnarounds & Workouts as one of 2005’s 10 most successful restructurings.
- Representing Teco Panda Energy, the owner and operator of the largest merchant natural gas-powered generation facilities in the world, in proceedings involving approximately US$3.5 billion in debt and equity securities.
- Representing Mercedes Homes, Inc., one of the largest homebuilders in the US, in its successful restructuring through Chapter 11 proceedings involving approximately US$280 million in secured and unsecured debt.
- Representing Fulton Homes Corporation, one of the largest private homebuilders in Arizona, in its Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representing Taro Properties, LLC, an Arizona-based land banking operation, in its successful restructuring through Chapter 11 proceedings involving approximately US$92 million in secured and unsecured debt.
- Representing LS Power Equity Advisors, one of the largest bondholders in the successful reorganization of Calpine Corporation, which restructured approximately US$22.5 billion in total liabilities.
- Representing Centrix Financial, which originated and serviced more than US$4 billion in subprime automotive loans through more than 600 dealer relationships.
- Serving as counsel to the official creditors committee in Mesaba Airlines, a regional feeder airline for Northwest Airlines. The successful reorganization plan resulted in all creditors receiving full recovery in cash.
- Representing National Airlines, a Las Vegas-based airline operating an all-Boeing 757 fleet, in proceedings involving more than US$1.4 billion in total liabilities.
In addition to the matters listed above, Sean has played an active role in the following restructurings: Fairfield Residential, LLC (counsel to acquirer); Digital Domain (counsel to the City of Port St. Lucie and the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity); Trussway Industries, Inc. (counsel to debtor); 944 Media, LLC (counsel to DIP lender); Greenbelt Property Management, LLC (counsel to Chapter 11 trustee); and LoveSac Corp. (counsel to debtor).
Ohio Northern University, J.D., with high distinction, editor in chief, Ohio Northern University Law Review, 1999Marlboro College, B.A., with honors, 1995
U.S. Dist. Ct., Dist. of Arizona
U.S. Dist. Ct., C. Dist. of California
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Florida