In the News
Quoted in Czech Business Weekly about medical tourism in Eastern Europe.
In the News
Quoted on BusinessWeek.com regarding insurance coverage issues in the medical tourism industry.
Scott A. Edelstein
Scott Edelstein, co-chair of Squire Sanders’ Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group and a member of its Data Protection and Healthcare Reform task forces, focuses his practice on advising healthcare providers on legal and regulatory issues. He also regularly assists hospitals and physician groups in developing strategies for hospital/physician alignment, mergers and acquisitions, and fraud and abuse compliance.
A recognized expert in international healthcare issues, Scott advises clients engaged in cross-border medical services, patient mobility and medical tourism programs as well as financing healthcare infrastructure.
Scott has extensive experience advising clients in implementing Healthcare Reform initiatives such as accountable care organizations (ACOs), bundled payments, clinical co-management arrangements and joint ventures between hospitals and physicians. He also works with individual physicians and physician groups to form and/or merge physician practices into community practices, hospital-based practices and ambulatory settings.
Scott has deep expertise in the full range of health IT-related issues. His experience includes advising a broad spectrum of clients on cloud computing, social media, EHRs, telehealth and mobile health applications. Scott has written extensively on healthcare compliance issues including fraud and abuse, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy and security standards, the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, and state and federal data breach laws. His frequent lectures on healthcare issues have included discussions on the integration of new technology in clinical settings and healthcare compliance in the age of diminishing reimbursement.
Scott has been named one of the top healthcare lawyers for 2013-2014 by the Washingtonian
. In 2012, the Medical Tourism Association presented Scott with the first Justitia Award for achievements enhancing the medical tourism and international healthcare industry. Scott received the 2009 Distinguished Service Award from the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) at its first annual Integrity Awards. He was also named part of the Legal Elite for 2009 by the readership of Washington SmartCEO
. He was previously named as one of Southern California’s Rising Stars in Health Care Law by Los Angeles Magazine
and Legal Times
Scott is a member of the American College of Healthcare Executives, the American Health Information Management Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, and the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. He is a board member of the Americas Health Foundation and serves on the advisory boards of the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools, Consumer Action and the Medical Tourism Association. Scott is an advisory committee member on the International Stem Cell Society’s (STEMSO) Policy and Regulatory Board. He is also a member of the California and District of Columbia Bar Associations.
- Representing one of the largest national for-profit health systems in the acquisition of multiple hospitals and healthcare regulatory compliance matters.
- Advising a California hospital district in structuring clinical co-management arrangements for cardiovascular, orthopedics and oncology service lines.
- Advising a major academic medical center and its medical staff on physician alignment models.
- Representing one of the largest renal dialysis companies on transactional and regulatory matters.
- Representing several national non-profit health systems on hospital and physician practice acquisitions and co-management arrangements.
- Serving as regulatory counsel to a national group purchasing organization.
- Serving as corporate and legislative counsel for local and national healthcare systems, multi-institutional systems, diagnostic imaging centers, clinical laboratories and ASCs.
- Supervising the formation of integrated delivery systems and joint ventures among healthcare providers, technology vendors and hospitals.
- Conducting and supervising regulatory compliance audits of hospitals, ASCs, durable medical equipment suppliers and home health agencies.
- Advising pharmaceutical and biomedical companies on federal and state antikickback laws and issues regarding use of electronic medical records.
- Serving as borrower's counsel in tax-exempt financing and supervised due diligence.
- Reviewing medical staff bylaws, conflict policies, professional and administrative services agreements, recruitment agreements and leases.
- Representing a major children's hospital in negotiating their EHR contract with a national vendor.
- Developing comprehensive HIPAA products for healthcare providers, payors and vendors.
- Creating a nationwide HIPAA education program for clients and lawyers.
University of San Francisco, J.D., 1991University of Oxford, Certificate, International and Comparative Law, 1989University of Southern California, M.P.A., 1988University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1987
District of Columbia,
U.S. Supreme Court