Scott Monroe Coffey
Scott Coffey guides publicly and privately held entities in a wide range of general corporate, finance and banking-related transactions. He has extensive experience in secured and unsecured commercial lending, project development and finance, and the acquisition and divestiture of assets and subsidiaries.
Scott has served as borrower’s and lender’s counsel in a variety of US and cross‑border loan transactions. Additionally, Scott has handled private equity investments, joint ventures, strategic alliances, leveraged buyouts, bridge financings, private mergers and acquisitions, workouts and restructurings.
In the energy sector, Scott has represented borrowers and sponsors in financing the development, construction, acquisition and operation of renewable energy projects including wind-powered, solar, geothermal and wood-burning generating facilities, as well as simple- and combined-cycle natural gas-fired and oil-fired electric energy generating facilities.
Scott has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America
since 2013.. Each year since 2007, Scott has been identified by Florida Trend
magazine as one of its Legal Elite, a listing of the top lawyers in Florida as selected by their peers. He has also been named an up-and-coming lawyer by South Florida Legal Guide
each year since 2008.
Since 2009 he has been selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers–Rising Stars,
published by Thomson Reuters.
He was also listed in Who’s Who Legal: Florida 2008
for his project finance practice.
Scott is a member of the Environment, Energy and Resources Section; Energy Industry Restructuring, Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee; and Electric and Natural Gas Committee of the American Bar Association. He also is a member of the Business Law Section of the Broward and Palm Beach County Bar Associations.
- Counseling the minority owner of Northwest Parkway LLC in a term financing comprising a US$249 million term loan facility, a US$150 million liquidity facility and a guaranteed US$60 million facility. The transaction was named North American Transport Deal of the Year 2007 by Project Finance magazine.
- Representing the sponsor and borrower in a US$700 million term loan and letter of credit project financing deal for two wind facilities aggregating 606.5 MW of capacity.
- Serving as sponsor’s and project’s counsel in connection with a US$400 million construction term facility to finance a 668 MW simple-cycle combustion electric generation facility and 774 MW combined-cycle generation facility. The project was awarded North American Power Portfolio Deal of the Year by Project Finance magazine.
- Counseling large US banks as tax equity investors in solar PV sale-leaseback projects (single asset and portfolios) backed by power purchase agreements with major commercial retailers and municipalities in the United States.
- Representing the sponsor and borrower in a US$206 million project financing transaction for two wind-powered electric generating facilities aggregating 196.5 MW of capacity.
- Advising the issuer in a US$435 million 144A financing of a combined cycle gas-and oil-fired electric generation facility.
- Counseling the lessee in a US$360 million synthetic lease financing of a combined cycle gas-fired electric generation facility.
- Representing the sponsor and borrower in a US$100 million project financing transaction for two wind-powered electric facilities sited in Canada.
- Representing a client in the acquisition, construction, development and operation of an electric generation facility with a 520 MW capacity.