Dr. Michelle Chen is a London-based partner. She is a dual England and China qualified lawyer specialising in China-related cross border transactions.
Michelle previously served as an international law legal adviser to the Chinese central government and as Group Legal Counsel of a Fortune 500 multinational conglomerate responsible for its China operations.
Prior to joining Squire Patton Boggs, Michelle was the Head of China Practice for two well-known international law firms based in London.
Michelle has acted on a wide range of international cross border transactions with deal size ranging from multimillion to multibillion pound and is a trusted legal advisor for numerous high profile clients. The sectors that she has been involved in include banking and finance, education, infrastructure, telecommunication, real estate, media and advertising, hotel, retail, automotive, life science, energy, government regulatory compliance and international litigation and arbitration.
Michelle is an adjunct professor at the Peking University law school, a member of the advisory board of PLC China with Practical Law and an adviser of the Association of Chinese Financial Professionals in UK.
She is the co-author of the book titled Theory and Practice of the Hong Kong Basic Law and the editor of the book titled Civil and Commercial Law in Hong Kong published by the Legal Publishing House. She has published numerous articles on company law, contract law and international law. She is also a frequent speaker on China-related topics in various international conferences.
- Advising various Chinese financial institutions on the establishment of business; commercial leasing; on-going regulatory compliance; senior executive’s employment matters and loan default matters.
- Advising Chinese telecommunication companies on the establishment of business; commercial leasing; on-going compliance and group treasury regulatory compliance.
- Advising a Chinese automobile manufacturer on their anti-competition matters in Europe.
- Advising a Chinese listed company on an £80 million acquisition of a UK-based multinational company.
- Advising various major Chinese real estate groups on the establishment of business; bidding for a £300 million central London development; corporate matters; on-going regulatory compliance; and liquidation matter.
- Advising various listed companies, universities and UK privately owned businesses on their China expansion plan.
- Advising a Chinese investor on their cooperation with a UK private school.
- Advising various private clients on the structuring of their business, immigration and property acquisitions.