Dr. Michelle Chen is a London-based partner. She is a dual England and China qualified lawyer specialising in China-related cross border transactions.
Michelle previously served as an international law legal adviser to the Chinese central government and as Group Legal Counsel of a Fortune 500 multinational conglomerate responsible for its China operations.
Prior to joining Squire Sanders, Michelle was the Head of China Practice for two well-known international law firms based in London.
Michelle has acted on a wide range of international cross border transactions with deal size ranging from multimillion to multibillion pound. The sectors that she was involved in include finance, insurance, infrastructure, telecommunication, real estate, media and advertising, hotel, retail, automotive, life science, energy, education, government regulatory compliance and international litigation and arbitration.
Michelle is a member of the advisory board of PLC China with Practical Law and an adviser of the Association of Chinese Financial Professionals in UK.
She is the co-author of the book titled Theory and Practice of the Hong Kong Basic Law and the editor of the book titled Civil and Commercial Law in Hong Kong published by the Legal Publishing House. She has published numerous articles on company law, contract law and international law. She is also a frequent speaker on China-related topics in various international conferences.
- Advising a Chinese listed company on an £80 million acquisition of a UK-based multinational company.
- Advising a Chinese global conglomerate on global corporate governance and compliance matters.
- Advising a major Chinese real estate group on the reorganization of their UK subsidiaries.
- Advising a major Chinese financial institution on their strategic development plan in the UK.
- Advising various UK based multinational companies on their China expansion plan in various sectors.