Listed in the 2014 edition of Chambers UK
as a leading individual.
Recommended in the 2013 edition of The Legal 500 UK.
Laurence Winston is the head of the litigation team in London
Laurence specialises in acting for banks, asset based lenders and other financial institutions in worldwide and UK fraud investigations and asset recovery actions, obtaining freezing injunctions, search and seizure orders and other ancillary relief. Laurence also specialises in complex banking and investment disputes and claims on guarantees, indemnities and warranties. Laurence has acted in numerous employee frauds and other commercial litigation and arbitration matters including breach of warranty claims.
Laurence lectures and presents on fraud and asset recovery to the Asset Based Finance Association (ABFA), credit conferences and other business conferences. He won ABFA's Lecturer of the Year award in 2005 and was nominated for the same award in 2006 and 2007. He also appeared on CNBC Europe as an expert on fraud, commenting on "Refco".
- Advising on a US$1 billion breach of warranty claim in the LCIA arising out of a corporate acquisition in Ukraine.
- Advising on US$850 million breach of contract and fraud claim in CIS.
- Acting for global financier in landmark invoice discounting civil fraud case against directors of national haulage business. Worldwide freezing injunctions were obtained to prevent dissipation of assets and the case was the largest invoice discounting case ever to have gone to trial. The trial lasted for ten weeks and resulted in a £16 million judgment for the financier.
- Acting as the independent solicitor in the Ferrari/McLaren "Spygate" case in the search and seizure injunction obtained by Ferrari.
- Acting in a US$50 million derivatives scheme dispute involving a leading investment bank.
- Acting as UK counsel against Prince Jefri Bolkiah of Brunei in a multimillion dollar claim against his previous advisers.
- Acting for a Premier League and England footballer in breach of privacy claim against the News of the World in relation to telephone hacking.
- Acting for a global energy supplier in an anti-trespass injunction and possession order against trespassers on nuclear development site. The case attracted a huge amount of TV and press coverage.
- Acting for a large financier in relation to a £20 million fraud claim against the directors of a customer to whom the financier provided finance and stock facilities. This involved obtaining freezing injunctions and a search order against the relevant individuals.
T +44 20 7655 1760
M +44 7714 451849
College of Law, Chester, 1991The University of Manchester, LL.B., 1990
England and Wales,