Kate Kim focuses her practice on cross-border transactional matters representing clients in stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, joint ventures and other strategic investments. She regularly advises international companies on corporate governance and regulatory compliance issues, and helps clients structure a uniform and efficient process for handling these issues across multiple jurisdictions.
Kate also advises clients on U.S. litigation and international arbitration matters. She has represented clients in general commercial, securities, antitrust, intellectual property (IP), insurance and complex construction cases. Prior to joining Squire Sanders, Kate was a litigation associate at a premier litigation boutique in Chicago.
Kate is a member of the Ministry of Justice, Legal Advisory Committee on International Investment and Intellectual Property Disputes. She is also a member of the Squire Sanders Global Firmwide Associate Committee.
- Representing the third largest Japanese trading company in its acquisition of the global packaged foods and Asian fresh fruit business from the world’s largest producer and marketer of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Advising Japanese companies on antitrust matters, including multi-jurisdictional cartel investigations involving computer technology products , and transportation and logistics services.
- Representing a leading Japan-based medical diagnostics company in the sale of its related business and assets worldwide involving 30 countries in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
- Representing a leading Japan-based pharmaceutical company in connection with the licensing of its technology for controlled release oral delivery tablet products.
- Representing a major Japan-based chemical company in connection with the licensing, supply and distribution of its protein variants used in life science and biotechnology products.
- Representing a leading Japan-based manufacturer of medical and surgical systems with their regulatory compliance and worldwide distributors.
- Representing a leading Japan-based steel manufacturer in connection with the construction and operation of a steel mill in Latin America.
- Representing a major Japan-based telecommunications company in acquisitions and joint venture projects in Southeast Asia, North America and Latin America.
- Advising a Japan-based heavy industry manufacturer of cooling treatment systems in connection with a nuclear power plant project in the United States.
- Representing a major Japan-based food manufacturer in the acquisition of the largest chocolate and confectionary company in Poland.
- Representing a Japan-based commercial printing business in connection with the divestiture of its US subsidiary operations and subsequent restructuring.
- Advising a major aerospace and defense contractor in connection with FCPA and other regulatory compliance worldwide.
- Advising and representing Japan- and US-based clients in the electronics components, airline, steel and other heavy industries in commercial disputes and US litigation (IP, general commercial, bankruptcy) matters including successfully resolving cases on pre-trial motions.
T +81 3 5774 1800
O +82 2 6353 8350
T+82 2 6353 8350
University of Chicago, J.D., Ruth Wyatt Rosenson Scholar, 2003University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1997
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office,
Japan (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi),
Republic of Korea, Ministry of Justice, foreign legal consultant,
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Illinois