Selected by peers as a rising star, the top 2.5 percent of lawyers age 40 or less, or in practice 10 years or less, and listed in the 2012 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013, an honor based on an exhaustive peer-review process.
Jill S. Kirila
Jill Kirila represents and counsels companies in all aspects of employment and other service provider relationships. She has extensive multistate litigation experience before federal and state courts and administrative agencies and regularly defends employers against all types of discrimination claims such as sex and age harassment, as well as wrongful discharge, benefits and breach of contract claims.
She regularly represents companies in wage and hour collective actions and disputes in federal courts, where she utilizes a creative and aggressive early defense approach. Jill has also handled numerous covenant not to compete and trade secrets matters for clients in numerous industries including technology, retail, manufacturing, healthcare, insurance and other financial services businesses.
Jill advises employers on compliance with state and federal employment and labor laws to assist them in avoiding, or at least minimizing, the risk of litigation. This aspect of her practice includes drafting employment contracts and restrictive covenants, coaching on compliance with wage and hour regulations and investigating complaints of workplace harassment and illegality, including Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower claims. Jill regularly works with clients and the firm’s corporate practitioners on labor and employment matters arising in mergers, acquisitions, restructurings and other business transactions including union and plant-closing and mass layoff law issues. She also is a frequent speaker to employer and other business groups on these compliance issues.
Jill is co-chair of the Squire Sanders eDiscovery & Data Management Team, which serves as a resource for lawyers and clients in matters involving the preservation and discovery of electronic documents.
Jill was named a Rising Star in multiple editions of Ohio Super Lawyers
, a distinction that recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Ohio lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less. She also appears in the 2012 and 2013 editions of The Best Lawyers in America
Jill is a member of the Georgetown University’s Alumni Admissions Committee, serves on the board of Catholic Social Services and is a graduate of the Leadership Columbus class of 2007.
- Obtaining summary judgment on all overtime claims in a company-wide collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) involving more than 1,000 potential plaintiffs.
- Obtaining summary judgment in federal court and Sixth Circuit affirmation on all claims by plaintiff under Title VII, FMLA, and state law.
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction (converted to permanent) in a trade secret and noncompetition case on behalf of healthcare client.
- Obtaining a defense jury verdict in a sex harassment case brought against a retail financial services institution.
- Successfully representing a client in multidistrict litigation of nationwide class and collective wage and hour actions involving thousands of plaintiffs.
- Obtaining summary judgment in federal court on all Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) claims based on separation pay benefits brought against a national insurance company.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower claim on behalf of a national insurance company.
- Obtaining the dismissal of wage and hour federal lawsuits brought by the US Department of Labor involving back wages claims for more than 600 employees of two national satellite television service providers.
- Obtaining summary judgment in federal court and Sixth Circuit affirmation in an age discrimination suit brought by a former manager of a large parts distributor.
- Obtaining multiple temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions to enforce noncompete provisions and trade secret restrictions on behalf of a national manufacturer.
- Obtaining no probable cause determinations in numerous administrative proceedings before the EEOC and state administrative agencies.
- Counseling multiple clients through company-wide reductions in force.
- Counseling multiple clients regarding executive compensation and contract issues.
Georgetown University, J.D., 1997The Ohio State University, B.A., summa cum laude,
Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Texas
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Florida
U.S. Dist. Ct., Middle Dist. of Florida
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Indiana