Read the latest news about India on the Anticorruption Blog.
India’s economy is one of the fastest growing in the world, with a rapidly expanding consumer class. At Squire Sanders we have witnessed a dramatic increase in the number of organizations that are looking at India as an opportunity to develop their business, as well as India-based organizations that are doing business elsewhere.
Our clients’ interests cover both inward and outward investment across a range of industries including automotive, aviation, banking, information technology, energy and natural resources. Our experienced lawyers are able to offer clients a complete range of legal services from any of our 36 offices globally, or through selected local counsel in countries where we do not have an office.
We advise clients on:
- Banking and Financial Services
- Business Immigration
- Corporate and M&A
- Environmental, Safety & Health
- Global Compliance
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Labor and Employment
- Real Estate
- Restructuring and Insolvency
A few representative examples of our capabilities include:
Inbound From the United States
Inbound From Europe
- Advising various US companies with trademark registration, brand protection, outsourcing and data privacy concerns, and other intellectual property issues in India.
- Advising Callahan & Associates in relation to the granting of mobile and broadband licenses in India.
- Advising various US defense companies in helping them satisfy their offset obligations in India.
- Advising a US-based global financial services management company in establishing offshore call centers in India and the Philippines. Work included the formation of local corporations, offshore holding companies and associated tax work.
- Advising a financial institution on structuring the financing for a power project in India.
- Advising a New Jersey-based pharmaceutical product developer on its acquisition of a 51-percent stake in an India-based pharmaceutical company.
- Advising Software Park of India, a technology business, on the advantages, tax relief and other benefits associated with having a local presence in India.
Inbound From Asia Pacific
- Advising a UK-based leading architecture firm on employment and immigration matters in connection with the setting up of an office in Mumbai.
- Advising various European textile and fashion companies in their establishment of operations in India for the production and distribution of high-quality clothing in India.
- Advising three France-based aerospace companies on all international law and regulatory issues arising in connection with the formation of a joint venture to launch and operate geo-stationary satellites for pan-India telecommunications and DTH services.
- Advising Alten Europe in its acquisition of a US-based offshore software product development company, which has business units in Chennai and Bangalore.
- Advising on contracts involving the aviation and rail industries, as well as advising on the corporate structuring of inbound investment to India’s manufacturing, software and real estate industries.
- Advising one of the largest producers of photovoltaic energy in Spain on its joint venture with an Indian company in connection with carrying on business in India in the photovoltaic industry.
- Advising Piaggio & C. S.p.A. in connection with a loan from the International Finance Corporation for the expansion of Piaggio’s existing facilities in Baramati (Maharashtra), India.
Outbound From India
- Advising SingTel, a leading Asia-based telecommunications provider, in its US$3 billion joint venture submarine cable project with an India-based telecoms company.
- Advising the China division of a US-based manufacturer regarding an investigation of employee activities in India.
- Advising a large publicly traded Japan-based manufacturing company in connection with a joint venture to manufacture steel pipe in India with one of India’s largest industrial conglomerates.
- Advising Dolby Laboratories in China regarding FCPA and DTH telecoms licenses in India.
- Advising The International Hospital Corporation during its first round of financing for a novel modular and scalable 300-acre medical tourism facility in Hyderabad.
- Advising Kingfisher Airlines, an India-based carrier, in conjunction with its acquisition of a US-based manufacturer of small aircraft, as well as advice on acquiring various federal, state and international approvals to initiate service to the United States.
- Advising an India-based footwear company on the registration of trademarks in Hungary.
- Advising a multinational India-based IT consulting company in processing more than 300 H-1B non-immigrant visas for US facilities in one year.
- Advising an India-based software services and consulting company on structuring labor and employment relations in its Poland office as well as providing legal counsel on immigration issues pertaining to non-EU citizens.
- Advising Bank of India on its local lending and regulatory matters in the US.
- Advising one of the oldest commercial banks in India for 20 years on an array of issues including bank regulatory, trade finance, and loan and lease matters.
- Advising on a joint venture between Indian authorities and a technology company on the establishment of a 4G standard and the implementation of the world’s first 4G wireless project.
- Advising a technology recruiting and staffing company headquartered in Mumbai, India, on the enforcement of noncompete clauses in employment agreements.