Received the highest ranking for legal ability and professional ethics from the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings.
Edward A. Geltman
Edward Geltman has served clients as an authority in antitrust and consumer protection legal matters for more than 30 years. He began his career as a trial lawyer with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Competition. Since joining Squire Sanders in 1973, Edward has successfully defended clients in investigations and enforcement actions brought by the FTC and the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice (DOJ) relating to mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, pricing, marketing practices and advertising.
Edward has represented and counseled clients in connection with substantial antitrust controversies in a wide range of industries including steel, airline transportation, dairy, compressors, chemicals, glass, air conditioning and jet engines, as well as a broad range of healthcare providers. He has substantial experience in defending companies and corporate executives in antitrust criminal and civil investigations, and representing clients in private antitrust treble damage and class action proceedings.
In addition, Edward counsels and represents clients on a full range of antitrust and consumer protection issues including acquisitions, mergers and joint ventures, deceptive advertising, marketing, distribution and pricing issues. He has successfully guided clients through the Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) filing and second request process and utilized his knowledge of the FTC and DOJ to structure and secure approval of proposed acquisitions, mergers and joint ventures.
Edward is the producer of a video leadership seminar, “Understanding Antitrust Price Fixing,” which is designed to provide company executives with basic information about proper conduct and risks associated with pricing activities.
Edward has been named to Who’s Who in American Law, Who’s Who in the World, Marquis’ Who’s Who in the Law
and Marquis Who’s Who in the World.
He is also recognized as a Leading Lawyer in Washington D.C. & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers 2012 Edition
- Representing a leading manufacturer of compressors in a DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation and related civil class actions.
- Representing the world’s largest steel producer in connection with an antitrust action it brought relating to the exclusionary practices of a supplier in the United States. The case was successfully resolved by a multimillion-dollar renegotiation of supply contracts.
- Representing air cargo carriers in a DOJ criminal price fixing investigation and related civil class actions.
- Defending a health plan and its hospital parents in connection with an antitrust case alleging a conspiracy to monopolize the health plan market.
- Defending a leading producer of flat glass in a series of antitrust class actions alleging price fixing.
- Representing a leading France-based steel producer in an action challenging the exclusionary practices of a competitor with respects to a high value steel product. The case was successfully resolved by the opening of the US market to our client and a multimillion-dollar payment to them.
- Defending a leading hospital in connection with an antitrust class action price fixing complaint filed on behalf of medical residents.
- Defending a leading non-US steel producer in connection with a competitor’s allegation of illegal monopolization. Our motion to dismiss was granted.
- Representing the leading producer of flat glass in connection with two DOJ grand juries investigating flat glass price fixing-the grand juries were terminated without indictments. Similar results were achieved in connection with DOJ criminal price fixing grand jury investigations relating to milk products, cement, waste disposal and asphalt paving.
- Defending a leading Japan-based producer of mining drilling equipment in a private price fixing and customer/market allocation suit. The case was settled without a monetary payment.
- Representing a physician group in an antitrust case alleging that our client engaged in an illegal boycott. The case was dismissed on summary judgment.
- Obtaining antitrust HSR and EU clearance for numerous horizontal acquisitions in various industries including glass, hospitals, air conditioning, amusement parks and chemicals.
- Representing a leading Japan-based jet engine producer in an FTC antitrust investigation relating to its dealings with two competitors. The investigation was closed without any action.
- Counseling and obtaining necessary antitrust HSR and EU clearance for numerous joint ventures in various industries including compressor manufacturing and aerospace jet engines.
- Counseling a major jet engine joint venture on antitrust issues.
- Representing numerous top executives from various industries such as magazine publication, dredging and paving in antitrust criminal grand jury matters.
- Representing a sports team and its ticket provider in an antitrust case against the leading ticketing service.
The George Washington University, J.D., with honors, Order of the Coif, The George Washington Law Review, 1971Franklin & Marshall College, A.B., with honors, 1968
District of Columbia,
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Ct. of App., Third Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., Dist. of Columbia
U.S. Ct. of App., District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit