Who's Who Legal 2013
Recommended in the 2013 edition of The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists
Listed in the 2014 edition of Chambers UK
as a leading individual.
Diarmuid is a partner in our Regulatory practice based in our London office. Diarmuid specialises in all aspects of EU and UK competition and state aid law, including:
- advising on investigations by the UK competition authorities and the European Commission into cartels, collusion and abuse of dominance;
- advising on competition issues arising in relation to mergers, joint ventures and strategic alliances;
- advising on the competition aspects of various types of commercial agreement such as distribution agreements, technology transfer agreements and research and development and specialisation agreements;
- advising on the application various forms of central/regional/local government assistance/support with the EU state aid rules; and
- advising on competition-based disputes and litigation, including judicial review of regulatory decisions.
Diarmuid also specialises in competition compliance advice, including advising on compliance programmes and dawn raid programmes, devising and undertaking competition compliance audits and devising and undertaking mock dawn raids.
Diarmuid is a member of the UK Association for European Law and was one of the joint UK rapporteurs at the Biennial Congress of the Fédération Internationale de Droit Européen in November 2010, reporting on “The Judicial Application of European Competition Law”. Diarmuid is also a member of the Competition Advisory Panel of the Confederation of British Industry.
The Legal 500 UK 2013 describes Diarmuid as “a first-class adviser who is approachable and responsive, and provides commercially astute advice”. Chambers and Partners’ 2013 (UK) noted Diarmuid for his “extensive expertise in merger control, behavioural investigations and other key areas of competition law” and that he “makes sure his advice reflects the real commercial needs of [clients]”. Diarmuid is also listed in Global Competition Review’s The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists 2013 as one of the UK’s pre-eminent competition lawyers.
- Brady Dugan, Diarmuid Ryan and Peter Alfano, The World Has Changed: Global Cartel Enforcement Brings New Risks, Antitrust & Trade Regulation Report Bloomberg BNA, 11 October 2013, Vol.105, No.2618
- D Ryan, B Hartnett and N Dimopoulos, Market data supply agreements, The European Antitrust Review 2012 (a GCR special report)
- D Ryan, B Hartnett and N Dimopoulos, Assessing information exchanged between competitors in light of the new horizontal guidelines, Competition & Antitrust Review 2011, Euromoney Yearbook
- Diarmuid Ryan and Christopher Brown, The Judicial Application of European Competition Law, XXIV FIDE Congress (November 2010) Topic 2 Report
- D Ryan, T Pick and W Sparks, Abuse of dominance – when is an ‘excessive’ price ‘unfair’? Recent developments at EU and member state level, Competition & Antitrust Review 2009, Euromoney Yearbook
- Weighing up the competition, Legal Week, 13 December 2007
- How national agencies approach defence mergers; Global Competition Review 2003
- Abuse of a dominant position in EC competition law: recent developments – The European Antitrust Review 1999 (Global Competition Review special report)
- Advising Cott Developments Ltd on the OFT’s merger control review of its acquisition of Cooke Bros. Holding Limited (Calypso and Mr Freeze brands). The OFT unconditionally decided not to refer on 25 June 2013.
- Advising a third party complainant in respect of the DS Smith/SCA Packaging merger, which on 5 July 2012 the European Commission subjected to a detailed remedies package as a condition of clearance.
- Advising Cytec Industries Inc. on the merger control aspects of its public bid for Umeco plc, which was unconditionally cleared by the European Commission on 11 June 2012.
- Advising Addison Lee on the OFT’s review of its acquisition of Lewis Day’s passenger car business, which was cleared unconditionally on 27 February 2012.
- Advising CitySprint (UK) Limited on the OFT’s 25 January 2012 unconditional clearance of its acquisition of Lewis Day’s courier business.
- Advising GB Group plc on the OFT’s 22 December 2011 unconditional clearance of its acquisition of Capescan Parent Ltd.
- Advising SSP Limited on the OFT's Motor insurers data exchange investigation. On 2 December 2011 the OFT formally accepted commitments offered by SSP and the other firms under investigation and its investigation without any finding of infringement.
- Advising Atlas Copco Limited in obtaining unconditional clearance from the OFT on 7 July 2011 in respect of its acquisition of the medical gas division of Penlon Limited, which involved the first use by the OFT of certain aspects of its new guidance on exceptions to the duty to refer.
- Advising Chelsea FC in defending against Adrian Mutu’s complaint to the European Commission that the award against him and in favour of the club of €17 million in compensation for breach of contract, infringed Articles 45, 101 and 102 TFEU. The European Commission closed its file in April 2011 following the withdrawal of the complaint.
- Advising a global polyurethane foam manufacturer on the European Commission Article 101 investigation in the polyurethane foam sector, launched in July 2010.
- Advising Eaglemoss Holdings (UK), part of the Aurenis Group, on the OFT’s review of its acquisition of GE Fabbri, which was unconditionally leased by the OFT on 17 December 2010.
- Advising BSS Group on the competition law aspects of its proposed takeover by Travis Perkins. The transaction was notified to the OFT on 16 July 2010 and on 26 October 2010 the OFT announced its decision not to refer the transaction to the Competition Commission subject to the sale of branches in 20 local areas.
- Advising Aldi Stores Limited on the Competition Commission's Groceries Market investigation (2006-2010) and subsequent implementation of remedies imposed, monitored by the OFT.
- Advising Lucite International on the merger control aspects of its US$1.6 billion acquisition by Mitsubishi Rayon Co. Ltd, involving filing in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Germany, South Korea and Taiwan as well as a Phase II merger review in China. This transaction completed on 28 May 2009 following acceptance by MOFCOM (Chinese regulator) of an innovative remedies package.
- Advising before the OFT (2008) and Competition Commission (2008-2009) INEOS Chlor Limited on the anticipated sale of its packaged chlorine business and assets to BOC Limited.
- Advising INEOS Chlor on its successful defence of an investigation by the European Commission during 2007 – 2008 into alleged "gun jumping", including representing INEOS on-site during the course of a Commission "dawn raid".
- Advising Live Nation on the Competition Commission’s merger inquiry into the Hamsard/Academy merger (Competition Commission clearance decision dated January 2007 and final undertakings accepted in February 2007).
+44 20 7655 1310
+44 870 460 2884
University of Cambridge, B.A., 1994College of Europe, Bruges, LL.M., 1995University of Law, York, 1996
England and Wales,