Leading environmental law practitioners recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
Solid & Hazardous Waste
In addition to our robust hazardous substance litigation
and site remediation
practices, we advise numerous private and public clients on solid and hazardous waste regulatory matters. We represent industrial and municipal interests on the full range of federal and state issues pertaining to solid and hazardous waste, including those arising under Subtitles C and D of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and their state counterparts. Clients rely on us for:
- Counseling regarding treatment, handling, transportation and disposal of solid and hazardous waste.
- Completing RCRA facility investigations, corrective actions and site closures.
- Navigating the complex thicket of US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) regulation of recyclable hazardous materials, treatment standards, land disposal restrictions and the definition of solid waste.
- Defending enforcement proceedings under RCRA and its state counterparts.
- Siting and permitting numerous public and private solid landfills.
Our representative experience in the solid and hazardous waste area includes:
- Representing a major oil refiner in connection with the decades’ long implementation of an RCRA 3008(h) Administrative Order on Consent issued by US EPA for clean-up of historic contamination associated with the operation of a former refinery.
- Advising ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steelmaker, on the completion of RCRA facility investigations and corrective actions.
- Defending a geothermal energy producer in Imperial County, California in connection with civil and potential criminal claims that the company illegally disposed of hazardous waste in a local municipal landfill.
- Designing a product redistribution and recycling system for an international chemicals manufacturer with extended attention to RCRA, the Toxic Substances Control Act and Department of Transportation implications.
- Successfully defending, through trial, a major steelmaker in a RCRA enforcement action.
- Successfully resolving a RCRA enforcement claim against the world’s largest cobalt manufacturer.
- Helping the city of Phoenix obtain operating permits for its state-of-the-art Subtitle D landfill.
- Representing a major retail company in investigations by California District Attorneys alleging improper disposal of hazardous and universal wastes.