Selected by peers as a rising star, the top 2.5 percent of lawyers age 40 or less, or in practice 10 years or less, and listed in the 2014 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars.
Elizabeth E. Trende
Elizabeth Trende advises healthcare providers of all sizes as they navigate the changing landscape of healthcare reform – from managing large-scale physician alignment strategies, to developing innovative governance structures, policies and procedures in the integration era; to advising clients as they face audits and enforcement from government authorities and private whistleblowers. Her practice includes compliance, regulatory, and transactional activities. From individual billing queries, to sweeping compliance and structural reformation efforts, Elizabeth seeks to assist providers at each stage of their business and care quality development.
Elizabeth is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association. She is a frequent presenter at a number of healthcare-related professional associations, as well as in seminars and webinars prepared for individual clients. She is recognized in Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars
, a distinction that recognizes lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less.
- Lead associate for team that secured dismissal of a large-scale qui tam action against a physician-owned joint venture, involving over one hundred defendants. Elizabeth also managed the accompanying CID response to the US Department of Justice, and helped secure the ultimate declination of government intervention in the case.
- Lead associate in multiple provider compliance and reimbursement appeal hearings (including medical necessity related appeals. Argued successfully for retraction of more than US$1 million in alleged overpayments sought by state and federal agencies.
- Assisted providers with developing compliant payment mechanisms and application of Stark, Anti-Kickback and Civil Monetary Penalty laws.
- Guided facilities in conducting internal audits and investigations, and developing compliance plans and protocols.
- Drafted and guided multiple physician alignment transactions, including management, co-management, professional and managerial services agreements.
- Guided clients in innovative reformation of medical staff structures and related governance issues, with emphasis on compliance with clinical integration and accountable care.
- Coordinated, start to finish, licensure and enrollment processes for new healthcare facilities, as well as changes of ownership and changes in corporate character for existing facilities including application of provider-based rules, addition of services and entity reclassifications.
Georgetown University, J.D., line editor, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review, 2005Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, 2000