Recommended in the 2013 edition of The Legal 500 UK.
Listed in the 2014 edition of Chambers UK
as a leading individual.
Edward J. Dawes
Edward Dawes is a partner in the Corporate Transactions, Finance & Governance Practice Group in Birmingham. Ed has more than 25 years of experience helping companies to plan and execute corporate transactions with particular focus on in advising on recommended and hostile takeovers, UK equity market fundraisings, corporate acquisitions and disposals, and regulatory compliance.
Ed is ranked as a leading corporate/M&A lawyer by Chambers & Partners in the Midlands section of its client’s guide to the UK legal profession, with market sources commenting that he is “very capable at handling high-value acquisition work” and is a "commercial, no nonsense lawyer".
Ed is a contributing editor to Sweet & Maxwell’s
“Company Directors: law and liability” and was instrumental in the development and publication of the CBI’s Practical Guide to Corporate Governance. Ed is also a member of the London Stock Exchange’s Regional Advisory Group.
- Advising FTSE 250 Morgan Advanced Materials on the merger of its fired shapes thermal ceramics business with Magma, a UK-based fired shapes specialist, to create a combined business under joint ownership.
- Advising a consortium of Chinese and UK investors on the acquisition of Covpress International Holdings, a tier 1 supplier to Jaguar Land Rover and other automotive manufacturers. This project represented a significant Chinese investment into the UK’s automotive sector.
- Advising a joint venture consortium of UK and Chinese investors on the acquisition of Covpress International Holdings, a leading manufacturer of car body panels and other pressings for JLR and other automotive manufacturers, a significant Chinese outbound investment project with a reported deal value in the region of £30m.
- Advising Advanced Medical Solutions Group plc on its €64m acquisition of RESORBA including an associated £34million share placing on Aim, a new term loan facility of €25m and a new £8m revolving credit facility.
- Advising an AIM-quoted property investment company on its successful £30 million hostile takeover of a target company listed on the London Stock Exchange’s main market, and the Channel Islands Stock Exchange, together with a subsequent £70 million placing.
- Advising a FTSE 250 instrumentation and controls supplier on a series of cross-border acquisitions.
- Advising a FTSE 250 company in the leisure, entertainment and hotels sector on a number of transformational acquisitions.
- Advising a FTSE 250 support services provider on a £116 million recommended takeover of an AIM company using cash, loan notes and shares with a mix and match alternative, and constituting a class 1 transaction for the bidder.
- Advising a well-known privately owned multinational manufacturer on a significant restructuring and strategic review culminating in the sale of the business.
- Advising one of the UK’s largest consumer cooperatives on a series of corporate acquisitions and disposals.
University of Exeter, LL.B., (Hons.), 1985