Listed in the 2014 edition of Chambers UK
as a leading individual.
Recommended in the 2013 edition of The Legal 500 UK.
Edward J. Dawes
Edward Dawes is a partner in the Corporate Group in Birmingham. Described in the 2015 edition of the Legal 500 “exceptionally bright, very responsive, and practical
”', Ed has more than 25 years of experience helping companies to plan and execute corporate transactions with particular focus on advising on corporate acquisitions and disposals, recommended and hostile takeovers, UK equity market fundraisings, and regulatory compliance.
Ed has been consistently ranked since 2001 as a leading corporate/M&A lawyer by Chambers & Partners in the Midlands section of its client’s guide to the UK legal profession, and the 2015 edition notes Ed in particular for his experience in cross border M&A work, quoting market sources as describing him as "everything you want in a corporate lawyer
," Previous editions have described him as “very capable at handling high-value acquisition work” and as a "commercial, no nonsense lawyer
Ed is a contributing editor to Sweet & Maxwell’s
“Company Directors: law and liability” and was instrumental in the development and publication of the CBI’s Practical Guide to Corporate Governance. Ed is also a member of the London Stock Exchange’s Regional Advisory Group.
- Advising Numis Securities in its role as Nominated Adviser on the admission of ULS Technology plc to the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange with a market capitalisation of approximately £26m and on its associated placing of shares to raise £12.1m.
- Advising FTSE 250 Morgan Advanced Materials on the merger of its fired shapes thermal ceramics business with Magma, a UK-based fired shapes specialist, to create a combined business under joint ownership.
- Advising a joint venture consortium of UK and Chinese investors on the acquisition of Covpress International Holdings, a leading manufacturer of car body panels and other pressings for JLR and other automotive manufacturers, a significant Chinese outbound investment project with a reported deal value in the region of £30m. This deal won International Deal of the Year at the Midlands Dealmakers Awards 2014.
- Advising Advanced Medical Solutions Group plc on its €64m acquisition of RESORBA including an associated £34million share placing on Aim, a new term loan facility of €25m and a new £8m revolving credit facility. This deal was shortlisted as Deal of the Year at the Quote Company Awards 2013.
- Advising an AIM-quoted property investment company on its successful £30 million hostile takeover of a target company listed on the London Stock Exchange’s main market, and the Channel Islands Stock Exchange, together with a subsequent £70 million placing.
- Advising a FTSE 250 instrumentation and controls supplier on a series of cross-border acquisitions.
- Advising a FTSE 250 company in the leisure, entertainment and hotels sector on a number of transformational acquisitions.
- Advising a FTSE 250 support services provider on a £116 million recommended takeover of an AIM company using cash, loan notes and shares with a mix and match alternative, and constituting a class 1 transaction for the bidder.
- Advising a well-known privately owned multinational manufacturer on a significant restructuring and strategic review culminating in the sale of the business.
- Advising one of the UK’s largest consumer cooperatives on a series of corporate acquisitions and disposals.
University of Exeter, LL.B., (Hons.), 1985