Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014, an honor based on an exhaustive peer-review process.
Donald W. Hughes
Donald Hughes practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, corporate finance and corporate governance. He has extensive experience representing both publicly traded and privately held entities in a number of matters including going private transactions, corporate reorganizations, acquisitions, divestitures and stock purchases, licensing and private equity transactions. Additionally, Don has consulted and spoken on issues such as mergers and acquisitions, international licensing, corporate governance and executive compensation.
Don is deputy practice group leader of the Squire Sanders Corporate Practice Group in Columbus. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America
since 2013. Don has also been named a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers
in 2005, 2006 and 2007, a distinction that recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Ohio lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less.
He is a member of the American, Columbus, Ohio State and Texas bar associations.
- Representing the world’s largest manufacturer of gas compressors in a joint venture acquisition of a fracking pump system manufacturer.
- Representation of an NYSE-listed mining company in general corporate, refinancing and mergers and acquisition transactions.
- Representing a publicly traded home developer in debt restructuring matters and eventual sale in a going-private transaction.
- Representing a private equity firm in multiple acquisitions of financial services firms.
- Representing a Europe-based international automotive manufacturer in a series of joint development and joint manufacturing ventures in the US.
- Representing a large national pipe manufacturer in the acquisition of its primary competitor and multiple other organizations.
- Representing a Florida-based technology company in a US$30 million equity financing involving venture capital firms in the US, Asia and Middle East.
- Representing an NYSE-listed international industrial manufacturer in the formation of a joint venture with two suppliers and acquisition of multiple steel foundries throughout the Midwest.
- Representing an NYSE-listed national banking client in a complex multistate reorganization of its corporate structure following several large mergers.
- Providing counsel to a regionally based insurance company in its acquisition of multiple competitors and eventual sale to an NYSE-listed company.
- Representing a national banking client in a complex offering of preferred securities from one of the bank’s captive real estate investment trusts (the offering created significant tax and capital advantages to the client; it was one of the largest of its type ever placed).
- Representing a multistate vending machine distributor in the acquisition of a competitor with multiple locations and real property throughout the Midwest.
- Providing counsel to a nationally based industrial manufacturer in its program involving the acquisition of multiple ancillary product suppliers throughout the Midwest and South America.
Ohio Northern University, J.D., editor in chief, Ohio Northern University Law Review, 1997Morehead State University, M.B.A., 1983Bowling Green State University, B.S., 1982