Tomasz J. Stawecki
Tomasz Stawecki’s practice focuses on debt financing, in particular project finance, acquisition finance and asset-based finance. Active in this field since 1991 he also has broad experience in matters involving financial restructuring, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights.
From 1992 to 1998 Tomasz advised the Committee for Civil Law Reform at Poland’s Ministry of Justice on matters relating to registered pledges, land and mortgage registers and the National Court Register. From 2005 to 2008 he advised the National Bank of Poland and the Ministry of Justice on these issues.
Tomasz lectures at the Faculty of Law and Administration at Warsaw University, where he has been a faculty member since 1980. His principal areas are the theory and philosophy of law. He has also lectured on legal interpretation, theory of rights, pledge law and the legal aspects of investment financing, and he has written leading treatises in these areas in Polish, English, German and French.
Tomasz has been highly recommended in Chambers Global: Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers, Chambers Europe
and European Legal Experts
since the directories started publishing. He is also listed in The Best Lawyers in Poland.
Tomasz was included in Practical Law Company’s Global Counsel 3000
in 2003/2004. In 1995 he received a distinction in the 35th Annual Competition of Państwo i Prawo for the best doctoral thesis in law and in 2007 the Annual Prize of the Warsaw University Faculty of Law for Academic Achievements.
- Advising Poland-based banks on negotiating and preparing documentation for syndicated loans as well as direct loans to companies constructing and operating Class A office buildings, warehouses and logistic centers, power plants, and coal and industrial gas processing plants.
- Advising on the co-financing of acquisition of shares in a national Poland-based telecommunications provider.
- Advising international financial institutions on loans for the construction of an industrial glass plant, shopping and logistic centers, office buildings, a malt processing plant and a ceramics plant.
- Advising on the financing for the construction and operation of a gas pipeline and obtaining approval of tariffs and prices by the president of the Office for Regulation of the Power Industry.
- Advising on the financing and construction of toll motorways.
- Advising on the transformation of a bank in Poland into a Europe-based credit institution branch office.
- Advising a Korea-based bank on the debt restructuring of a Poland-based auto manufacturer.
- Advising on mortgages and issues related to internal organization of mortgage banks.
- Advising a major investor on sale and lease back of real properties.