Selected by peers as a rising star, the top 2.5 percent of lawyers age 40 or less, or in practice 10 years or less, and listed in the 2014 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Stars.
Ryan A. Sobel
Ryan Sobel focuses his practice on employment counsel and litigation for private and public-sector clients in all areas of employment law, including EEO and ERISA issues.
Ryan was named a Rising Star in Ohio Super Lawyers
for 2010, 2013 and 2014, after being selected by his peers as among the top up-and-coming Ohio lawyers 40 years of age and younger or in the practice of law for less than 10 years.
Ryan is active in the Northeast Ohio Chapter of March of Dimes and is a member of the Tremont West Development Corporation. He also is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association.
- Successful first-chair defense of a public school district against claims of discrimination and harassment by a former school principal, resulting in a unanimous defense verdict at trial in Ohio state court.
- Successful second-chair defense of a Fortune 500 company against claims of harassment and retaliation by a former hourly employee, resulting in a unanimous defense verdict at trial in Tennessee state court.
- Successful second-chair defense of a public school district in a claim for workers’ compensation death benefits, resulting in a unanimous defense verdict in Ohio state court.
- Participated in the defense of claims for denial of long-term disability benefits and breach of fiduciary duty brought under ERISA in the US District Court Northern District of Ohio.
- Participated in the defense of claim for denial of physician health plan benefits brought under ERISA in US District Court Northern District of Ohio.
- Participated in the defense of an ERISA class action for fiduciary violations under ERISA involving corporate divestiture of an ESOP company and the spinoff of ESOP participant accounts. Served as second-chair trial counsel at a bench trial in US District Court Western District of Wisconsin.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on claims for breach of fiduciary duty under ERISA in the US District Court Southern District of Ohio.
- Provide sexual harassment training to corporate executives, managers and employees.
- Lecture on various employment-related issues including current judicial trends, litigation strategies and administration of personnel policies.
- Help clients evaluate risk and find practical, cost-effective solutions for difficult employment issues, through day-to-day legal counsel.
Studium und Ausbildung
Case Western Reserve University, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2004Miami University, B.A., 2001
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit