Selected by peers as a rising star, the top 2.5 percent of lawyers age 40 or less, or in practice 10 years or less, and listed in the 2014 edition of Southwest Super Lawyers – Rising Stars.
Jacob B. Smith
Jake Smith's practice is concentrated on federal and state income tax matters including mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, real estate transactions, tax planning for limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations, and international tax issues in cross-border transactions. He frequently advises clients on merger agreements, asset and stock purchase agreements, joint ventures, business and fund formations, and business reorganizations. Jake also provides advice in all aspects of financial restructurings to maximize tax benefits, such as the preservation of net operating losses, and to minimize adverse tax effects. Jake’s practice also includes the representation of taxpayers in various controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities.
Jake is recognized as a Rising Star in Southwest Super Lawyers
, a distinction that recognizes lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less.
Jake is the author of “US Investors Looking to Invest in Canada Through a US LLC Receive Good Tax News,” published in Global Connection
, and lectures widely on tax issues before audiences such as the Tax Executives Institute and the American Bar Association. He is a member of the Tax Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona, the New York State Bar Association, and the Real Estate Committee and Partnership & LLC Committee of the American Bar Association.
- Structuring and negotiating the acquisition of a public company’s real estate franchising business.
- Providing counsel regarding a Japan-based corporation's sale of its US subsidiary's stock.
- Structuring and negotiating the sale of a high profile premium clothing company to a publicly traded company.
- Advising on the formation of various funds targeting distressed real estate assets and other operating businesses.
- Structuring and negotiating the acquisition of a sporting goods business by a private equity fund.
- Advising and structuring of reorganizations for numerous entities involved in a restructuring or bankruptcy to maximize tax benefits.
- Structuring and negotiating complex operating agreements for limited liability companies.
- Negotiating and obtaining favorable settlements with the IRS on numerous occasions, including with respect to the audit of a large manufacturing company and various private equity funds.
- Providing guidance to investors/developers in order to increase the likelihood of investor characterization of certain real estate parcels.
- Structuring and negotiating various other asset acquisitions, sales, mergers and dispositions.
Studium und Ausbildung
New York University, LL.M., Taxation, 2004University of Kansas, J.D., with honors, 2003University of Kansas, B.A., 2000