Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014, an honor based on an exhaustive peer-review process.
Craig A. Sturtz
Craig Sturtz practices in the firm’s environmental health and safety group and counsels corporations, developers and municipalities on a broad range of environmental matters including pursuing permit appeals and defending enforcement actions, compliance with federal and state hazardous and solid waste laws, brownfields redevelopment and voluntary cleanups, and minimization of environmental liability in complex commercial and real estate transactions.
Craig’s practice includes all major state and federal environmental acts including the Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation & Recovery Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act, Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act and Clean Air Act. He was recently involved in the successful defeat of a challenge relating to the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and continues to advise clients on ESA issues.
Craig frequently appears before the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, the Environmental Review Appeals Commission and the United States Environmental Protection Agency regarding compliance and enforcement issues.
Craig was named a Rising Star in the 2007 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers,
a distinction that recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Ohio lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America
and in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
each year since 2005. In 2004, he was voted in by his peers to receive a Columbus’ Top Lawyers distinction in the area of environmental law.
Craig served as co-chair and secretary of the Columbus Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee and is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section.
- Advising on National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit appeals before the Environmental Review Appeals Commission and landfill closure litigation.
- Counseling on a high-profile ESA case seeking to halt permitting for development in Southwest Florida on behalf of a prime real estate owner near the Florida Gulf Coast.
- Providing guidance to a facility near a metropolitan area through remediation, closure and the sale of a 100-year-old manufacturing plant.
- Counseling on purchase remediation and redevelopment of more than 20 commercial/retail properties throughout the Midwest including obtaining state redevelopment grants on behalf of clients.
- Performing environmental due diligence for numerous commercial transactions throughout the United States.
Studium und Ausbildung
Capital University, J.D., cum laude, 1992Indiana University - Bloomington, B.S., 1989
U.S. Ct. of App., District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Ohio