Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014, an honor based on an exhaustive peer-review process.
Craig A. Sturtz
Craig Sturtz practices in the firm’s Environmental Safety & Health group and focuses on minimizing environmental risks in corporate and real estate transactions, handling agency and private party cost recovery actions, and advising on environmental compliance.
Craig has assessed and minimized environmental liability in some of the largest corporate and industrial transactions in the US, directing environmental due diligence, negotiating contract language and structuring financial support for remediation and indemnification obligations. He has worked on hundreds of real estate, corporate and financing transactions and has experience in various states’ remediation, brownfield development, funding and UST programs, along with wetland permitting and vapor intrusion management.
Craig also represents potentially responsible parties in CERCLA and state cost recovery and compliance actions, including resolution or litigation of multi-party actions. On the regulatory compliance side, Craig provides counselling with respect to the federal and state solid and hazardous waste, air and water laws and permitting obligations.
Craig has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America
since 2009 and in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
. He was named a Rising Star in the 2007 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers
, a distinction that recognizes the top 2.5 percent of Ohio lawyers under the age of 40 or those in practice for 10 years or less. In 2004, he was voted in by his peers to receive a Columbus’ Top Lawyers distinction in the area of environmental law.
Craig served as co-chair and secretary of the Columbus Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee and is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section.
- Directed environmental due diligence with respect to US$2 billion purchase of global food and agricultural business.
- Structured multimillion dollar escrow associated with foreign owner’s disposition of US interests and ensured implementation of buyer’s post-closing remediation obligations.
- Worked in close coordination with environmental consultants to complete environmental due diligence associated with US$1.2 billion refinancing transaction involving 28 manufacturing facilities in the US, Canada and Mexico in 21 days.
- Served as group counsel to major potentially responsible parties in resolving claims by US EPA and multiple other responsible parties under CERCLA to address Ohio disposal site.
- Successfully challenged National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit before the Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Commission resulting in first of its kind flexible discharge limits based on real-time measurements of receiving stream flow.
- Successfully defended a high-profile federal Endangered Species Act case seeking to halt permitting under the Clean Water Act for development in the high growth area of Southwest Florida.
Studium und Ausbildung
Capital University, J.D., cum laude, 1992Indiana University - Bloomington, B.S., 1989
U.S. Ct. of App., District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Ohio
U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Ohio